Food, nutrition, and schools: summary of #foodchat responses from August 18, 2009
Semi-complete dialog of #foodchat topic: Food, nutrition, and schools from August 18, 2009.
Question 1 via @mpaynknoper What are quick & simple ways moms can ensure their children have a nutritious lunch or dinner?
- WriteNowBiz: Q1 seems 'obvious' pack what they like & will eat :-)
- agchick: #foodchat Q1 I supplement hot school lunch w/ granola bars, mozzarella sticks.
- Gayle_Secret: Q1 - I get torn on this one between packing the same thing every day vs introducing variety.
- foodchat: And how do you achieve that quick & easy? RT @WriteNowBiz: Q1 seems 'obvious' pack what they like & will eat :-)
- TruffleMedia: Q1 #foodchat dinner by design http://bit.ly/24XIGa (expand) helped us; prepare in advance dinners plus exposure to diff ways to make "boring" vegies
Question 2 via @childnutri What are UR questions about meal quality, general questions about school meals, & who is food service?
- PutnamAg: Q2 Is any thought given to total meal calories? My kids hate "greasy" pizza Wednesdays.
- Gayle_Secret: Q2 Would be really nice to involve kids in preparation of meals!
- NateJaeger: Q2: quantity has as much to do w/ nutrition as quality. need to focus on nutrient rich foods. more good stuff w/ less calories
- mpaynknoper: @PutnamAg Q2 That's a great ? re total calorie count. I'd ask the same re sodium counts. Any professional #nutrition folks here?
- tbtamartin: Q2 investing in a good lunch pack with the ability to keep things cool or hot if sending soup. Soup with a cheese sandwich 4 dipin
Q3 Via @NEFarmBureau Would you be willing to pay more for school lunch for certain food? How much?
- mpaynknoper: Q3 Hard to tell without specifics about school lunches. Sure wish there was a #food #nutrition expert on here!
- Gayle_Secret: Q3 - hard to say w/out specifics. Need to weigh purchase options vs benefit of packing lunch.
- TruffleMedia: #foodchat Q3 More $ would have to seriously change foods offered/services added.What would that look like;thought bubble forming above brain
- tbtamartin: Q3- I would be willing to pay more but needs to be fresh and healthy not a step up from one fast food to another
- wagfarms: Q3 If we would be talking about fresher produce and better meat choices, I would be willing to pay more $.
Q4 @cowartandmore must have read my mind! Do you prefer to pack lunches or have children purchase School Cafeteria meals? Why?
- cowartandmore: Q4 I worry about my kids eating what is served. (They're not in school yet.) Is there a "food monitor" to make sure they eat??
- wagfarms: Q4 With the long bus ride, packing lunches is very difficult. How to convince 7 and 5 year-old that food needs to wait for lunch??
- TruffleMedia: Q4 #foodchat prefer to pack because school food is not so really good to eat (http://bit.ly/mNkDx (expand) example) ; sounds good on paper but ...
- RayLinDairy: My mother works in a school cafteria and the amount of food that is premade the day before is astounding, how can it taste good?
Q5 covered a little before. Via @cowartandmore: What tips do you have for inexpensive and/or convenient nutrition for kids?
- whitwallace: Q5: Not a #mom, but as a "big kid" I love light string cheese. Easy 4 on-the-go, inexpensive, with #dairy and protein!
- NateJaeger: Q5: fruit, natures original fast food. Good night all. See you next week!
- tbtamartin: Q5 I found it less expensive to by fruits and veggies and prepare on weekends in baggies to grab during the week
- mpaynknoper: Q5 Yogurt gogurt, Cheese sticks, carrots, cheerios, apples...
- tbtamartin: Q5 My kids loved my portuguese rice pudding. I would make on w/ends and put in containers that they threw in their lunch
Q6 What is the one executable idea you will act upon as a result of our conversation tonight?
- cowartandmore: Q6 I will learn to not give in and continue to expose my kids to healthy food choices.
- whitwallace: Q6: Going to ask more ?s about the food service program in my Dad's district. Lots to learn and will be sure to share!!
- RayLinDairy: Q6 We continue to try to lead by example in our household by eating healthy foods to show our kids they are tasty.
- tbtamartin: Q6 Well My Ma is chiming in again and reminding me that "when they r hungry enuf they will eat it" "This ain't a restrnt" LOL
- mpaynknoper: Q6 Ask a whole lot of questions about our school lunch program when I eat there on Friday - & watch the kids.